Monday, November 8, 2010

Food For Thought


"At one extreme are those who sound as if they are entirely in favor of nature...at the other extreme are the nature conquerors" (137).
-Wendell Berry

I've actually watched Food Inc. several times, including for my documentary studies class, during which we examined and critiqued the film as a source of information and vehicle for social change. We noted its overall "catchiness" in that the movie itself appeals to the masses. The music, animations, bright colors, and simplistic structure all make it a commercialized product, in many ways similar to the packaged products of industrialization. The health concerns and environmental practices contained within the film are broad and well-known to anyone familiar with the food industry. Who doesn't know that Monsanto is the overwhelming nemesis? Who doesn't know that corporate companies like Tyson use unjust practices in producing mass amounts of food to feed an obese nation? Apparently, more people than you think.

The solutions that the film suggest are broad, as well. Shop locally. Support small farms. Plant a garden. Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Been there, heard that.

If it was that simple, wouldn't people be doing it? If individual consumer choices could, in fact, completely change our entire method of production, why haven't we been able to? The answer is: accountability.

Corporations aren't held accountable. The law, government, and money itself sees to it that our economic system continues to rely on this industrialized system where "artificial" replaces "natural." We aren't going to see the change that the hardcore environmentalists would like to see until our resources run out. It's depressing and sad, but it's the truth. Here's why: we've created a system that people are now born into. Children are brought up eating tomatoes grown 500 miles away, wearing clothes made in Pakistan, playing with toys made in China. I was brought up that way. I continue to enjoy a lifestyle that supports these economic relations, even though I do try to buy locally, go to farmer's markets and Maine fairs and purchase fair-trade items.

Our society is so overly-dependent upon these cheap labor systems because they pay off in the short term. However, the long-term effects are far more detrimental than any small, immediate gains. We don't realize the value of these resources until there are shortages.

Then, we complain.

We complain when gas prices go up. We complain when food prices go up. We complain if the power goes out during a storm, if our shower water isn't cold, if our flights are delayed at the airport.

Well, at the rate that our country and world is gobbling up the land, in just a matter of time we won't be complaining about these insignificant inconveniences. We'll be searching for water, food, and shelter.

Why are we headed down this path? Accountability.

You don't have to buy corn from the farm stand down the road, now. But you will.
You don't have to limit your showers to a certain amount of minutes, now. But you will.
You don't have to recycle your cardboard or paper or cans, now. But soon, the only landfill open will be in your own backyard.

So, films like Food Inc. are necessary for people who don't know about these issues. Maybe ideas like the ones presented in it can change or influence public opinion. Yes, I do think that consumers have power. Yes, the Wal-Mart representatives admitted to it in the film. Yes, I think we must go back to the local...in fact there is no other choice.

But until action is mandated, we aren't going to see dramatic change. People, at the end of the day, think for their own well-being and convenience, first and foremost. I'm not saying this to be pessimistic, but rather, practical. It is a reality. Wendell Berry suggests that there are two extremes: the tree-hugging naturists and the nature conquerors. The truth of the matter is that we're all nature conquerors, no matter how kind our intentions are, because of the systematic structure in place, which we all feed from (literally and metaphorically). Until regulations and accountability are instituted for individuals, nations, and corporations, we'll continue to shop our way into extinction.

Pass the potatoes.

3 comments:

  1. A terrific post, Emma. I find myself thinking about these bottom-up vs. top-down questions all the time. You're right: the problems we're dealing with are systemic, and individual consumer choice cannot be the answer to problems on the scale of (for example) global warming. On the other hand, I find that thinking about these issues on the local level means that at least I can *do* something. Politics at the national level tends to make me want to tear my hair out in frustration, but when I think about my agency here, in my own community, I feel like I have at least a little bit of power -- specifically, the power of the (few) dollars in my pocket. I can support a farm rather than a corporation; I can feed my kids food that has been responsibly raised; I can help my neighbors by supporting their local businesses. I know my weekly trip to the farmer's market isn't going to save the world, but The way I see it, there has to be a kind of two-part motion, from both the top (sweeping legal changes) and the bottom (changes in the structure of local communities, and in the habits of consumers). And even when I feel despair about the former, I can do something to contribute to the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already commented for this week- but I wanted to let you know that I continually find my head spinning after reading your posts, I think you are so insightful Emma! I also think that your humor added into your posts allows me to wrap my head around the difficult ideas we discuss in relation to the land and to our relationship to it. But just wanted to let you know- great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you've taken such an informed and level-headed standpoint on your critique of Food Inc. I feel like it is one of those widely-known documentaries that can throw people into an opinionated frenzy of calls to arms with little other consideration. Documentaries have a funny way of doing that to the most rational people, so it's good to see that not everyone is so easily persuaded by a film based purely on how well it is presented. You've taken a step back and assessed the issues for their comprehensiveness and depth, which is enlightening, to say the least.

    Every day I think about how the lifestyle I've been born into is waning, and while I am anxious about the end of lifestyles as we know them (particularly how and when it will happen) I also end up mentally kicking myself for not doing more about it. At the same time, what CAN I do about it? Like Dr. Case and the producers of Food Inc have said, making the life changes yourself is just about the only change you can make in the long run. Over the course of worrying about the end, I think I've made a few unfair judgments about the nature of mankind, but I am still pretty certain that there is no utopian resolution in sight. As you say, the change will only happen once we've run out of resources (oil being the most glaringly temporary resource) and even then it won't exactly function as a "reset" button.

    I really appreciated this post, though!

    ReplyDelete