Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Solitude

"In the midst of a gentle rain while these thoughts prevailed, I was suddenly sensible of such sweet and beneficent society in Nature; in the very pattering of the drops, and in every sight and sound around my house, an infinite and unaccountable friendliness all at once like an atmosphere sustaining me, as made the fancied advantages of human neighborhood insignificant, and I have never thought of them since" (125).

I broke one of my own rules when I headed out for my walk last evening down what folks where we live call "the Intervale"  (a wonderfully archaic word for valley). I had my son, Wyatt, with me. Since Wyatt doesn't talk yet, walking with him is more like walking with a dog than like walking with another person -- a comparison which, as will soon be clear, I mean as a compliment. Wyatt and I are used to being alone together. We've been that way for longer than he's been alive. We are aware of each other -- warmth, heartbeat, movement, the ebb and flow of physical needs -- but our communion is without words, without even the internal chatter we call "thinking." We have a few months left -- 2 or 3 at the most -- of this perfect, wordless companionship, before we will be two separate consciousnesses, two talkers, and we will not be able to be alone together anymore.


Of course, I will celebrate Wyatt's learning to talk. In other moods I stare at him and mouth over and over again the word "Mama," waiting for the magical moment he will name me and we will fall into a whole new relation. But yesterday, I recognized our aloneness-together as its own kind of rare gift.

We made our way down to the Temple Steam, and looked out at the mountains, and I can't tell you what happened then because it happened outside of words: it happened between me and Wyatt and the stream and the mountains and none of us said anything.



I am a literature professor: I am a word person. But sometimes, like yesterday, I want to remember that I am also an animal, a participant in nature, an element in an ecosystem. I want to feel that "infinite and unaccountable friendliness all at once like an atmosphere sustaining me." At such moments, I, like Thoreau, have to turn away -- not so much from people as from words.

Later, though, I want to write about it.

1 comment: