Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Interesting Article

http://www.pressherald.com/business/despite-economy-americans-shun-jobs-in-farm-fields_2010-09-28.html

This is an interesting article I read today and while I'm not due for a blog post, I thought I'd pass it along. It makes me think about the disconnect between Americans and their land. Even with unemployment skyrocketing, Americans are still "above" working in the fields and on farms, so illegal immigrants readily scoop up the positions.

Food For Thought:

How many people around you constantly complain? How many are unhappy? I've seemed to notice this a lot recently. I think it comes down to recognizing the difference between "meaningful" and "menial" work. Many of the most grueling jobs are often the least compensated and therefore deemed least significant...but by whose standards?

As for myself, in high school I worked two summers for the Presumpscott River Youth Conservation Corps, performing manual labor in the hot sun, day in and day out. In college, I worked at Whole Foods Market. Both jobs provided great experiences. Working retail paid better, I was in air conditioning, and there were excellent benefits. Working for the corps, I didn't make as much money, but it was more fulfilling. I could look at something I had accomplished at the end of each day and could leave with the satisfaction that I made somewhat of a difference for the environment. Working at the grocery store, I was surrounded by organic food and lots of positives as far as corporations go, but was ultimately standing long hours ringing up and bagging groceries for customers who usually had something to complain about (A customer once asked me while I was taking out the trash, "Do you have a college degree to do that?")

I couldn't become as enthused in telling strangers to "have a great day," like I could be about jumping in the river after a day of wheelbarrowing piles of rock and mulch.

In connection to the article, I also found it interesting that the jobs deemed more grueling were given to immigrants. I have friends who work in Prep Foods, which is a department involving heavy lifting, washing, and serving, as well as friends in the Housecleaning Department, who come from places like Somalia, Afghanistan, and Mexico. However, the Customer Service Department, of which I was a part, consisted of mostly all white Americans. The starting pay rate is the same for all positions. I'm curious to know the statistics behind this, as I applied simultaneously for a position in Customer Service and Prep Foods and happened to get an interview for Customer Service.

Anyways, some connections to think about. Like Thoreau, I'm often battling with myself in regard to the simplicity of nature and desire for intellectual stimulation. I think the age-old question that has faced man from the beginning is: what is happiness and how can I obtain it?

So we continue to search, to wonder, to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment